Tell me, who doesn’t love a good box of Oreos? And if you can believe it, there’s a way to make those Oreos even better! In this recipe, we’re taking classic Oreos and transforming them into an Oreo Icebox Dessert, filled with creamy layers, chocolate pudding, and a whipped cream topping.
While it may look deceptively simple and innocent on the surface, the Oreo Icebox Dessert hides devilish layers underneath that you can only discover once you cut into it. Talk about never judging a book by its cover, am I right?
In this recipe, I made use of a box of chocolate instant pudding mix, but if you want to challenge your baking skills, you can make the pudding mix yourself. Here’s how.
All you’ll need are simple ingredients like sugar, baking cocoa, cornstarch, whole milk, butter, vanilla extract, and salt (to balance out the sweetness). Once you have these on hand, you’ll want to first combine the cocoa, sugar, salt, and cornstarch in a heavy saucepan. Then, add milk gradually and bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat. After two minutes, remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in your vanilla and butter. Keep stirring until you’re happy with the consistency.
By making your chocolate pudding at home, you can up the ante of your Oreo Icebox Dessert. To make this recipe all the sweeter, don’t forget to top it all off with whipped cream and your choice of favorite candy. I personally love crushed Heath Toffee. But you can replace it with M&Ms, KitKats, or another layer of Oreo cookies. This is a dessert made to be your guilty pleasure, so give it all you’ve got.Print
Oreo Icebox Dessert
Get the best of both worlds with the Oreo Icebox Dessert. It brings together the mild, sweet, and pleasant tang of cream cheese with the crunchy and indulgent taste of the Oreo cookies to give you nothing short of your new guilty pleasure.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Chill Time: 8 hours 40 minutes
- Total Time: 8 hours 55 minutes
- Yield: Serves 12 1x
- Category: Desserts
- 1 (15-ounce) package Oreos, crushed
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 (16-ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 (5.1-ounce) box chocolate instant pudding mix
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups crushed Heath Toffee Bars
- Reserve 1/4 cup crushed In a medium bowl, mix the rest of the crushed Oreos with the melted butter. Press evenly into the bottom of a 9 × 13-inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the cream cheese and confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Fold in half of the whipped topping until blended. Spread evenly over the crushed Oreo layer. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the pudding mix and milk until thickened and smooth. Spread over the cream cheese layer. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Spread the remaining whipped topping evenly over the pudding layer. Sprinkle with the reserved crushed Oreos and top with the crushed Heath bars.
- Refrigerate for 8 hours. Slice and serve.
Keywords: oreo, icebox dessert
Did you make this recipe? How did you like it? It’s so wonderfully decadent and delicious!