Candied Lemonade Cake Bread Recipe
Make our sweet Candied Meyer Lemons ahead of time to dress this moist, dense Lemonade Cake Bread, perfect for breakfast, dessert, and special occasions. If you don’t have Meyer lemons for the cake, you can use regular lemons, but Meyer lemons are necessary for the glaze.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Yield: 8 slices 1x
- Category: Bakery
- Candied Meyer Lemons recipe with syrup reserved – if not making the topping, use 1/4 cup honey.
- 3 room-temp eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups sifted unbleached flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Meyer lemon (or regular lemon), halved, seeds removed, zested
- 1 tsp lemon extract (1 tbsp if using honey)
- Make the Candied Meyer Lemons recipe in advance or just before and reserve the liquid with the oranges (it simmers for 1 hour – you’ll know it’s done when the lemons are transparent and the syrup becomes frothy).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 5×9″ loaf pan, and then use a slip of parchment paper on the bottom and sides that will help you easily lift it out of the pan after.
- Prepare the lemon by cutting it in half, removing seeds, and using a microplane or cheese grater to remove the zest.
- In a bowl, beat together the sugar and eggs until light and fluffy, then add half the Candied Meyer Lemons syrup (about 1/4 cup – if you have more that’s fine just use 1/4 cup in the cake and the rest on top later) and mix again until well blended.
- Mix together your flour and baking powder, then slowly mix into the egg with a spatula (it will be tempting to use a hand blender, but you don’t want the batter to get gummy), and when that’s mixed, add your olive oil slowly. Add juice from lemon (about 3 tbsp), zest, and lemon extract, mix again and you’re done.
- Pour into your prepared loaf pan. Bake for 45 minutes, and test with a toothpick to make sure it comes back clean.
- Let cool for 15 minutes, then poke holes in the top of the cake and drizzle with your candied lemons and syrup. Enjoy!
- You can also make in a 9″ springform cake pan.