Harvey Wallbanger Cake
Similar to the Grasshopper Pie, here’s another dessert inspired by a popular mixed drink of the same name. Donato “Duke” Antone, owner of the Los Angeles bar Blackwatch, named the drink after an imaginary surfer character who had a tendency to start bumping into the walls after imbibing several drinks. The Galliano and orange juice carried over from the drink to the cake, and the glaze helps put this cake right over the edge.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 1 cake, serves 10-12 1x
- Category: Bakery
- 1 (18.5-ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 1 (3.5-ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup Galliano liqueur
- 3/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1–2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- Lemon slices, for garnish (optional)
- For the cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 10-cup Bundt pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, vanilla pudding mix, eggs, oil, liqueur, and orange juice. With a hand mixer, beat for 4 minutes. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- For the glaze: In a small bowl, mix together the confectioners’ sugar, orange zest, and orange juice until smooth.
- When the cake is cooled, invert it onto a serving plate and drizzle with the glaze. Garnish with the lemon slices, if desired.
- Cut into slices and serve.
Keywords: harvey wallbanger, cake