Refrigerator Fudge Cake
My nephew begged me to make him a special ice cream cake for his 4th birthday, and when I brought him this, he was ecstatic. The adults at the party loved it too, since the cream cheese layer gives it a cheesecake-like sophistication.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Chilling Time: 6 hours
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 6 hours 30 minutes
- Yield: Serves 12 1x
- Category: Bakery
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 3 cups milk, cold
- 2 (3.4-ounce) boxes chocolate instant pudding mix
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 12 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 (16-ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Chopped bittersweet dark chocolate for decorating
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9 × 13-inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, 3/4 cup of the pecans, and the melted butter. Evenly press the mixture into the baking dish. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until the crust is firm. Let cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, pudding mix, and espresso powder for 2 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes until thickened. In another medium bowl, mix the cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, and half of the whipped topping until combined.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture over the cooled crust. Evenly spread the chocolate pudding over the cream cheese mixture. Top with the remaining whipped topping.
- Sprinkle the remaining pecans and some chopped chocolate over the top.
- Refrigerate for 6 hours. Slice and serve.
Keywords: fudge cake