Lemon Chiffon Layer Cake
This light, lemony cake is an elegant dish for sweet daytime affairs like baby showers or after- noon tea. The lemon curd filling is my favorite part because it’s not too sweet and not too tart.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Chill Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
- Yield: Serves 8 - 10 1x
- Category: Bakery
- Lemon Cream Frosting
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon curd
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest plus 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup jarred lemon curd
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line three 8-inch round cake pans with parchment paper and very lightly coat with cooking spray.
- For the lemon cream frosting: Using a hand mixer or stand mixer with a chilled bowl and whisk attachment, whip the heavy cream with the sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold in the lemon curd. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- For the cake: In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, oil, lemon zest and juice, and 3/4 cup cold In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, 1 cup of the sugar, the baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the egg yolk mixture; whisk until smooth.
- Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, mix the egg whites and cream of tartar on low speed until light and foamy. Increase the speed to medium. Gradually add the remaining 1/2 cup sugar and whip until stiff peaks form. Stir in about 1/3 of the whipped egg whites into the cake batter. Fold in the remaining egg white mixture. Divide the batter into the cake pans.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cakes cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack, remove the parchment, and let cool completely.
- Place 1 cake layer on a serving plate. Spread 1/2 cup of the lemon curd evenly over the top of the cake. Set the second layer on top of the first, then spread the remaining 1/2 cup lemon curd on top. Place the last cake layer on top.
- Spread the frosting on the top and sides of the cake.
- Refrigerate the cake for 30 minutes before slicing and serve.
Keywords: lemon, layer cake