Key Lime Angel Food Cake
The key lime juice combined with the lightness of the angel food cake makes this a vacation-worthy dessert. The pistachio topping adds a delicate but distinct flavor for a particu- larly memorable dish.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: Serves 8
- Category: Bakery
- 12 large egg whites
- (1 1/2 cups), room temperature
- 2 tablespoons key lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tablespoons key lime juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pistachios
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- For the cake: Using a hand mixer or stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites, key lime juice, cream of tartar, salt, and lime zest on high speed until stiff peaks form. Reduce the speed to low and slowly add the sugar until incorporated. Sprinkle a bit of the cake flour at a time over the egg white mixture and carefully fold in.
- Spoon the batter into a 16-cup ungreased angel food cake pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the cake is golden and springs back when touched.
- Invert the pan and let the cake cool completely in the pan. Carefully remove the cake from the pan and set on a serving plate.
- For the glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together the confectioners’ sugar, key lime juice, and lime zest. Drizzle the glaze over the cake and sprinkle the top with the pistachios. Slice and serve.
Keywords: angel cake, key lime