3-Layer Nanaimo Bars
I could snack on bananas, chocolate, or graham crackers all day long. Put them together, and the multiple textures and ﬂavors get better with every bite. The creamy bananas with a graham cracker crunch satisfy my snack cravings every time. And who could say no to throwing some chocolate in the mix?
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Chill Time: 6 hours 30 minutes
- Total Time: 7 hours
- Yield: Makes 10 bars 1x
- Category: Bakery
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 (3.4-ounce) package banana cream instant pudding mix
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- For the crust: In a medium saucepan, melt the butter for the crust. Add the granulated sugar and stir until it has dissolved. Add the egg and vanilla, stir until combined well, and remove from the heat.
- Add the graham cracker crumbs, coconut, and pecans and mix well.
- Press the crust into an 8-inch square baking dish and refrigerate until ready to ﬁll.
- For the ﬁlling: In a large bowl, beat the butter until creamy. Add the pudding mix and the milk and mix until thickened.
- Mix in the confectioners’ sugar slowly until smooth.
- Spread the pudding mixture over the refrigerated pie crust. Chill for 30 minutes.
- For the topping: In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the chocolate chips and butter. Microwave for 15 to 20 seconds on high and stir. Microwave, stirring every 10 to 15 seconds, until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Evenly pour the chocolate on top of the pudding layer.
- Chill for 6 hours before cutting into bars or squares to serve.
Keywords: 3-layer Nanaimo bars