Peanut Butter Cup Cake
My husband loves sweets, so it was no surprise when we started dating to find a candy drawer in his kitchen. I would sneak mini peanut butter cups to munch on all the time, so I was thrilled when I got to try this recipe.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: Serves 8 to 10 1x
- Category: Bakery
- 1 (15.25-ounce) box white cake mix
- Vegetable oil as needed for the cake mix
- Egg whites as needed for the cake mix
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- Peanut Butter Buttercream
- 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, plus extra as needed
- 2 cups peanut butter cups, quartered
- 1 cup chocolate syrup
- For the cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two 9-inch round cake pans with parchment paper and grease the parchment.
- Prepare the white cake according to the package directions. Add the peanut butter and stir to combine. Divide the batter between the cake pans and bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool in the pans for 20 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack, remove the parchment, and let cool completely.
- For the peanut butter buttercream: Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and peanut butter on medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes until soft. Carefully add the confectioners’ sugar in 3 to 4 batches. Beat in the vanilla, then add the heavy cream and beat until smooth. If the buttercream appears too stiff, add more cream.
- Trim the tops of the cakes as necessary to level them. Remove excess crumbs.
- Invert one cake layer onto a serving plate and spread a thin layer of frosting on top.
- Set the second cake layer in place. Spread the remaining frosting on the top and sides of the cake. Top with peanut butter cups and drizzle with chocolate syrup. Slice and serve.
Keywords: peanut butter, cake