Chocolate Pound Cake
While the density of pound cakes is usually achieved by using a lot of butter, in this cake I opted for sour cream and buttermilk to stand in for some of the butter. Their moisture makes for a creamier cake, which, with the addition of cocoa, reminds me of a steaming mug of hot chocolate.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Chill Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Total Time: 3 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: Serves 8
- Category: Bakery
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 6 ounces bittersweet dark chocolate, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9 × 5-inch loaf pan. Line the pan with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on the long sides.
- For the cake: Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed for 1 minute, then add the sugar and beat until fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Add the vanilla and espresso and beat to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream and buttermilk. In another small bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, salt, and baking soda. On low speed, add the flour mixture to the butter mixture in 3 batches, alternating with the sour cream mixture in 2 batches; beat until blended.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Be careful not to overbake the cake. Transfer to a wire rack and let the cake cool completely in the pan.
- For the ganache: Heat the cream in the microwave or on the stovetop just until simmering. Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl, pour the hot cream over the chocolate, and let stand for 2 to 3 minutes, then stir until smooth. Let the mixture sit for about 5 minutes before pouring over the cooled cake. Refrigerate the cake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours to firm
- Carefully lift the cake from the pan using the parchment paper. Slice and serve.
Keywords: chocolate, pound cake