This Ultimate Berry Crumble is everything you want in an ooey, gooey dessert. It’s got fresh berries and buttery crumbles, and it’s not too sweet. I first had a taste when a friend made it for a birthday party I attended. I was hooked after the first bite! I’ve been making the Ultimate Berry Crumble ever since, and the key to perfecting it is using fresh berries.
What sets the Ultimate Berry Crumble apart from other desserts is the addition of other berries. I like to use strawberries, raspberries, and peaches, but you can use any type of berry you like. The way the different tastes of berries mix with each other makes the dessert irresistible. Also, the buttery crust crumbles are what give the Ultimate Berry Crumble its name. Of course, adding a topping is the perfect finishing touch!
I also love how quickly I can make this for dessert. The crumble comes together in just minutes, and then it’s just a matter of waiting for it to bake. This is my go-to recipe for when I have my college-aged kids over. What better way to take a break from school than having a mouth-watering dessert, right? You can serve it as-is or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. If I’m not feeling the ice cream, I like to add a dollop of whipped cream on top.
I always recommend this recipe whenever I hand out some extra blueberries to my neighbors. It’s perfect, especially when I know they also have other berries in their gardens. This dessert is best for any occasion, whether you’re entertaining guests or just looking for a special treat. There’s no better way to use your berries than to make this ultimately cozy dessert!Print
The Ultimate Berry Crumble
Dessert becomes even more special when it’s the Ultimate Berry Crumble! Loaded with fresh blueberries, other berries, and tasty, crunchy crumble, this dessert makes me want to go back for seconds!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 60 minutes
- Yield: Serves 10 1x
- Category: Bakery
- For the Crumble:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, chilled
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- For the Fruit Mixture:
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 cups of other fruit: strawberries, peaches, raspberries, etc.
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch—add more if fruit is juicy
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper—don’t skip this; it really adds to the dish!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and sugar in a bowl. Whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Dice butter and toss with flour mixture. Mix with hands to make crumbly texture.
- Drizzle in vanilla and add egg yolks. Stir with a fork until egg is mostly absorbed.
- Add vinegar and use hands to finish mixing, squeezing until it clumps but is mostly dry. You can add a little more vinegar, as needed.
- Combine fruit in a separate bowl.
- Add lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar, and cornstarch.
- Sprinkle in cayenne pepper. Mix until sugar and cornstarch are dissolved.
- Place 1/2 of the crumble mixture into the bottom of a 2-quart baking dish. Press down using a flat cup bottom or rubber spatula until crumble crust is well-compacted. Spread the fruit over the crust.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 of crumble mixture on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes, until the top is browned and berry syrup bubbles up.
- Let cool and serve.
Want to start growing blueberries at home? Blueberries are a favorite of everyone, everywhere! With our Blueberry Bonanza Gardening Guide, you’ll have everything you need to know about growing and enjoying this delicious and healthful fruit.
Have you tried this recipe? It really is the “ultimate” crumble—please tell us how it turned out for you.