Heaven and Hell Cake
When the angel on your shoulder tells you to make one cake and the devil points to another, it doesn’t hurt to listen to both! This cake is the epitome of compromise: half rich devil’s food cake and half smooth, airy angel food cake with a creamy peanut butter mousse in between.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Chill Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Total Time: 3 hours 40 minutes
- Yield: Serves 8 - 10 1x
- Category: Bakery
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 (16-ounce) box angel food cake mix
- 1 (15.25-ounce) box devil’s food cake mix
- Vegetable oil as needed for the cake mix
- Eggs as needed for the cake mix
- Peanut Butter Mousse
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 pound cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 cups smooth peanut butter, room temperature
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- For the ganache: Heat the cream just until simmering. Place the chocolate chips in a heatproof bowl, pour the hot cream over them, and let stand for 2 to 3 minutes, then stir until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside at room temperature until you are ready to frost.
- For the cakes: Make the angel food cake according to the package directions, using two ungreased 9-inch round cake pans. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until the top springs back when touched. Transfer the pans to a wire rack and let cool completely. Make the devil’s food cake according to the package directions, using two ungreased 9-inch round cake pans. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
- For the peanut butter mousse: Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip the cream on medium-high speed for 2 to 3 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Transfer the cream to a separate bowl. Add the cream cheese, peanut butter, and confectioners’ sugar on medium speed for 3 minutes or until fluffy. Using a spatula, fold one-third of the whipped cream into the peanut butter mixture, then fold in the remaining two-thirds. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- To assemble: Place 1 devil’s food cake layer on a serving plate and spread one-third of the peanut butter mousse over the top. Top the mousse with an angel food cake layer and spread with half of the remaining mousse. Repeat with the remaining devil’s food cake layer, mousse, and angel food cake layer.
- Stir the ganache. Frost the top and sides of the cake with the ganache. Refrigerate the cake for 2 hours before slicing and serving.
- If you have enough cake pans, you can bake the angel food cake and devil’s food cake at the same time.