Birthday Funfetti Layer Cake
When you need a more elegant birthday treat than the ultradecadent Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie Layer Cake, this pristine yet colorful Funfetti cake has your name written all over it. The addition of Greek yogurt gives it a lush, moist texture, which will surely have guests asking for seconds.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 37 minutes
- Total Time: 52 minutes
- Yield: Serves 8 - 10 1x
- Category: Bakery
- 3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cup rainbow sprinkles
- Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 3–4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- Rainbow sprinkles for decorating
- For the cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease three 9-inch springform or baking pans (round or square). In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a large bowl, vigorously whisk the melted butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until the mixture is lump-free. Whisk in the milk, yogurt, egg, and vanilla until combined. Slowly add the flour mixture and mix until no lumps remain. The batter will be thick. Stir in the sprinkles just until incorporated (do not overmix because the sprinkles will bleed their color).
- Pour the batter into the pans. Bake for 20 minutes, then cover loosely with aluminum foil and continue baking for 13 to 17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cakes cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- For the vanilla buttercream frosting: Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed for 3 minutes, until smooth and creamy. On low speed, add 3 cups of the confectioners’ sugar, the cream, and the vanilla. Increase the speed to high and beat for 3 minutes. Add more confectioners’ sugar if the frosting is too thin. Place the cake on a serving plate and frost the top and sides. Decorate with sprinkles. Slice and serve.
Keywords: funfetti, layer cake