Baby Shower Cake
You don’t need to run out to the bakery and order a fancy, specialized cake in order to have something fun and inventive. Using just cake mix and frosting in a can, you can create an af- fordable yet adorable themed cake. I made this for a baby shower, but there are other shapes you can make—be creative! I recommend testing out making the shapes with a piece of paper first so you feel confident when you have the cake in front of you.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: Serves 8 - 10 1x
- Category: Bakery
- 1 (15.25-ounce) box white cake mix
- Vegetable oil as needed for the cake mix
- Egg whites as needed for the cake mix
- 2 (12-ounce) containers buttercream frosting
- Sprinkles for decorating
- Preheat the oven and make the white cake according to the package directions, using a 9 × 13-inch baking dish. Let cool completely. Trim the top of the cake flat and invert it onto a serving platter.
- Cut a half circle from the middle of one of the short ends of the cake. This will be the onesie’s neck hole. Cut rounded corners off the opposite end of the cake to make the onesie’s leg holes.
- Discard (or nibble on) the neck cut-out, but save the leg cut-outs to make the onesie’s sleeves. Trim the edge of the cut-outs so they’re flat. Place the cut edges against the sides of the cake, lining the corners up with the top edge of the cake. You now have your onesie’s shape!
- Spread frosting evenly over the top and sides of the cake and decorate with sprinkles. Place any remaining frosting in a pastry bag fitted with a small round tip and outline the edges to clearly define the onesie’s shape. Slice and serve.
Keywords: baby shower, cake