Zucchini Cake with Browned Butter Frosting
The extra moisture from the zucchini makes this cake denser than ordinary white cakes, which makes it an intriguing option on a hot and stuffy summer day.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: Serves 9 - 12 1x
- Category: Bakery
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1 zucchini, shredded and drained (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1–2 tablespoons heavy cream
- For the cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch square baking dish. Line the dish with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on 2 sides.
- In a small bowl, whisk the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and baking powder.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, then beat in the granulated sugar until combined. Stir in the oil and vanilla. Add the flour mixture and stir until incorporated. Fold in the zucchini and pecans. Spread into the baking dish.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until the cake is browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Then use the parchment paper to transfer to a serving plate.
- For the frosting: In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat and let it cook until it starts to sizzle and brown. Watch it carefully and do not let it burn. Remove from the heat, let it cool slightly, and then transfer to a small bowl. Whisk in the confectioners’ sugar and gradually add the cream until you have a spreadable consistency. Frost the cake. Slice and serve.
Keywords: zucchini, zucchini cake