Addie’s Confetti Cake
This cake has become my signature, and can be your go-to for any occasion! It’s beyond easy to make, and can be customized for any occasion—the great thing about a delicious vanilla base is that you can add coloring or additional ﬂavors with ease.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: Serves 10-12 1x
- Category: Bakery
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for the pans
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sprinkles, plus extra for decorating
- 2 (16-ounce) containers vanilla frosting
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat four 8-inch round cake pans with cooking spray, shortening, or butter and ﬂour them, taking care to shake out excess ﬂour.
- Using an electric mixer, cream together the butter and shortening until light and ﬂuffy. Slowly add the sugar 1 cup at a time, making sure to fully incorporate each cup before adding another. Add the eggs one at a time, making sure to fully incorporate each egg before adding another.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the ﬂour, baking powder, and salt. Pour the milk, buttermilk, and vanilla into a measuring cup and whisk together with a fork. Add the ﬂour mixture to the butter mixture alternately with the milk mixture, beginning and ending with the ﬂour mixture.
- Mix on low speed until well combined, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl as necessary. Add the sprinkles and mix to incorporate.
- Divide the batter evenly among the cake pans and place them in the oven. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove and let cool slightly in the pans for about 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and let cool completely.
- Spread the cake gently with the frosting and decorate with extra sprinkles.
- Frost your cake right on the platter you plan to serve it on; this way, you won’t have to worry about moving the cake and ruining your frosting.
- An offset spatula will make frosting the cake easier.
Keywords: confetti, cake, confetti cake