Triple Berry Pie
I love this pie because it just looks so darn pretty! The soft red raspberries contrast nicely with the darker blueberries and blackberries. You can do all sorts of fun things with the crust—try a lattice top or even make fun seasonal punch-outs with cookie cutters.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6 to 8 1x
- Category: Bakery
- Pie dough for 1 double-crust 9-inch pie (store-bought or homemade)
- 7 cups fresh or thawed frozen raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries
- 1 cup granulated sugar, plus extra as needed
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest plus 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large egg, beaten with a little water
- 1 tablespoon sanding sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Roll out the bottom crust and place it in a 9-inch pie plate; refrigerate while preparing the filling.
- In a large saucepan, combine the berries, granulated sugar, lemon zest and juice, salt, and cinnamon and cook over medium heat. Simmer until the berries are warm and juicy, about 8 minutes. Taste and add more sugar if needed.
- Transfer 1/2 cup of the juice to a small bowl. Stir in the cornstarch until smooth. Pour the cornstarch mixture back into the pot with the berries and gently stir and cook for 2 to 5 minutes, until the mixture thickens. Remove from the heat and add the butter.
- Pour the berry filling into the pie shell. Roll out the top crust and either cut into strips to form a lattice crust or cut slits or holes for steam to escape. Place the top crust over the filling, pinch the edges of the top and bottom crusts, and then crimp the edges together. Brush the top with the egg wash and sprinkle with sanding sugar.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until the filling is bubbling and the crust is golden brown. After 30 minutes, check the pie, and if the crust is browning too fast, cover loosely with a piece of aluminum foil. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Slice and serve.
Keywords: berry pie, berry, pie