Love cakes are a staple in Italian cuisine and are often given as gifts on special occasions. This Italian Love Cake is our take on the classic love cake. The espresso and chocolate give it a deep and intense flavor, while the ricotta cheese keeps it light and airy. The result is an incredibly moist and flavorful cake packed with coffee, almond, and chocolate flavors. It’s truly a delicious way to show your love!
This cake is moist, fluffy, and covered in a rich chocolate ganache. It’s everything you could want in a cake and more. The best part is that it’s actually pretty simple to make — you don’t need any fancy ingredients or skills for this, just a little bit of love!
This type of cake is special to me because it’s one of the first recipes I learned from my grandmother. She was an incredible cook, and I always loved spending time in the kitchen with her. She would make this cake for birthdays, anniversaries, and other special occasions, and now I make it for my loved ones on those same occasions.
It has been said that love cakes are called love cakes because you make them as a labor of love. I can say with certainty that this cake is made with a whole lot of love! Sure, you have to pay attention to the recipe’s instructions, but it’s well worth the effort, especially when you make it for someone you care about.
Nothing says “love” like this triple-textured chocolate cake. Am I right?
If you’re aiming to win hearts with a showstopper dessert, this Italian Love Cake is the one for the job. It’s sure to fill them with happiness… and maybe even a bit of affection!Print
Italian Love Cake
Nothing screams love like a creamy, fluffy Italian Love Cake made from scratch with ricotta, espresso, and chocolate!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Chill Time: 6 hours
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 7 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: Serves 12 1x
- Category: Bakery
- 1 (15.25-ounce) box chocolate cake mix
- Vegetable oil as needed for the cake mix
- 4 large eggs, plus eggs as needed for the cake mix
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 2 pounds ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (3.4-ounce) box chocolate instant pudding mix
- 1 (8-ounce) tub mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 1 (8-ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Shaved bittersweet dark chocolate curls for decorating
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 × 13-inch baking dish.
- For the cake: Prepare the cake batter according to the package directions, adding the espresso powder with the other ingredients. Pour into the baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk the ricotta cheese, sugar, vanilla, and 4 eggs until smooth. Carefully pour the ricotta cheese mixture over the top of the cake batter. Spread to cover the cake.
- Bake for 55 minutes to 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (The ricotta layer will sink while baking.) Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let the cake cool completely.
- For the frosting: In a large bowl, whisk the milk and pudding mix until smooth. Carefully fold in the mascarpone cheese and whipped topping. Spread the frosting evenly over the cake and then sprinkle the chocolate curls on top. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours. Slice and serve.
Keywords: italian, love cake
What do you think of this recipe? Have you tried it, and is it as full of love as you imagine?