1970s Harvey Wallbanger Cake
The Harvey Wallbanger is a classic cocktail that combines vodka, orange juice, and Galliano. This sweet cake version packs a double whammy with the cocktail flavor in both the cake itself and the citrus glaze.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: Serves 10 - 12 1x
- Category: Bakery
- All-purpose flour for the pan
- 1 (18.75-ounce) box yellow cake mix (see Notes)
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest plus
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup Galliano liqueur
- 1/4 cup vodka
- 1 (3.4-ounce) box vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest plus 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon Galliano liqueur
- 1 teaspoon vodka
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9-cup Bundt pan.
- For the cake: Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cake mix, oil, orange zest and juice, eggs, Galliano, vodka, pudding mix, and vanilla on medium speed for 3 minutes. Pour the batter into the Bundt pan and gently tap to release air bubbles.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Invert the cake onto a serving plate to cool completely.
- For the glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together the confectioners’ sugar, orange zest and juice, Galliano, and vodka. Drizzle the glaze over the warm cake. Let the glaze set before slicing and serve.
- Be sure to use 18.75 ounces of cake mix—the recipe won’t work with less. If needed, buy two boxes to reach the required amount.
Keywords: wallbanger cake