Easy Strawberry Shortcake
The refrigerator era of cooking offered the opportunity for home cooks to make recipes that they’d normally only get at restaurants, like strawberry shortcake. Dairy products were more readily used now that they could be properly stored.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6
- Category: Bakery
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar
- 1 (15-ounce) can refrigerated whipped cream
- 3 cups fresh sliced strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the ﬂour, baking powder, baking soda, granulated sugar, salt, and lemon zest in a small bowl (or food processor).
- Add the butter and cut it in with a fork or pastry cutter or pulse a few times with a food processor until you have coarse crumbs. Stir in the buttermilk.
- Drop the dough onto the baking sheet. Sprinkle with coarse sugar and lemon zest. Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cut the biscuits in half and spoon some of the whipped cream in between each half. Serve with fresh strawberries.
Keywords: strawberry, strawberry shortcake