Nothing says summer, Fourth of July, picnics, and backyard barbecues like a cherry pie. Whether topped with a lattice crust or stars and other shapes, this pie adds a neat twist on the original with a hint of orange and almond to spruce up the ﬂavor.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: Serves 8-10 1x
- Category: Bakery
- 1 (2-crust) package store- bought pie crust, thawed if frozen
- 1 (21-ounce) can cherry pie filling
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract Pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut in pieces
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- Raw sugar, for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Roll 1 crust out and ﬁt into a 9-inch pie In a large bowl, mix the pie ﬁlling with orange zest, almond extract, and salt. Pour the mixture into the prepared crust. Dot the top of the ﬁlling with pieces of butter.
- Roll out the second pie crust and cut strips of the pie crust to create a lattice top or use cookie cutters to make shapes. Arrange the lattice or shapes on the pie and crimp the edges if necessary. Whisk the egg and milk together and lightly brush on the pie. Sprinkle raw sugar, if using, over the top.
- Place the pie on a cookie sheet to catch any potential overﬂow. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the ﬁlling is bubbling and the crust is browned. (Check the pie halfway through baking and cover loosely with foil if the crust is browning too much.) Let cool to room temperature, about 3 hours, and then serve.
Keywords: cherry, pie, cherry pie