Creamy Lemon Angel Cake
Cake flour has less protein than all-purpose flour, which means cakes made with it are softer and more tender—exactly how I’d describe this Creamy Lemon Angel Cake.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: Serves 10 1x
- Category: Bakery
- 9 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest plus 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup pre-made whipped cream
- Confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a 10 × 15-inch jelly-roll pan with cooking spray. Line the pan with parchment paper, leaving a small overhang on the short sides of the pan. Spray the parchment with cooking spray.
- For the cake: Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the egg whites, vanilla, and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Increase the speed to high and add the sugar a little at a time, whipping until stiff peaks form. Fold in the flour.
- Spread the batter into the baking pan and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the cake is set and springs back when touched. Let it cool for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Carefully lift the cake out of the pan using the parchment paper.
- Roll up the cake jelly-roll–style with the parchment paper, starting with the short end. Let the cake cool completely on a wire rack.
- For the filling: In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar and cornstarch. Whisk in 1 cup water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until the mixture is thick. Cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg. Add some of the hot mixture to the egg to temper. Add the egg mixture back into the pan and, stirring, bring back to a low boil. Remove from the heat.
- Add the lemon zest and juice. Let cool and then fold in the whipped cream.
- Carefully unroll the cake using the parchment. Spread the filling to within 1/2 inch of the edges. Reroll the cake, peeling off the parchment as you roll. Carefully place the cake roll on a serving plate. Sprinkle the top with confectioners’ sugar. Slice and serve.
Keywords: lemon, angel cake