Sourdough Soft Pretzels
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 12 Pretzels 1x
- Category: Bakery
- 3 cups warm water (about 110 degrees F)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra as needed
- Olive oil for the bowl
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt, poppyseeds, sesame seeds, or caraway seeds
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, combine 1 cup of the warm water, the yeast, and sugar. Let stand until mixture is foamy, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in the melted butter and salt. Add the flour, 1 cup at a time, and knead on medium-low speed until a dough forms and is no longer sticky. Add a bit more flour if the dough is too sticky. Continue to knead for 5 minutes, until the dough is smooth and pliable.
- Transfer the dough to a work surface and form it into a ball. Clean the mixing bowl and coat with oil. Return the dough to the bowl and cover to rest in a warm, dry place for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, boil the remaining 2 cups water with the baking soda.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and cut into 12 even pieces. Roll each piece into a rope 15 to 18 inches long. Working with 1 rope at a time, pull the ends up to meet in the middle, twist them a couple of times, and attach them to the bottom edge of the pretzel dough. Place in the baking soda bath for 2 minutes. Carefully remove from the water and place on the baking sheet. Brush the pretzels with the egg yolk and sprinkle with coarst salt.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve.
- Try different toppings, such as poppy seeds, caraway seeds, or a blend of all your favorite spices.