Inside-Out Cream Puff Cake
This cake is light as air! The soft, cushiony crust acts as a platform for the sweet whipped topping center. It’s amazing how similar it is to those handheld cream puffs you may pick up at the local bakery—there’s just so much more to enjoy here.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: Serves 8 -10 1x
- Category: Bakery
- Cream Puff Crust
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 (5.1-ounce) box vanilla instant pudding mix
- 3 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2–3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 9 × 13-inch baking dish.
- For the cream puff crust: In a medium saucepan, bring the butter and 1 cup water to a boil. Whisk in the flour and take off the heat. Let the mixture cool for a few minutes. With a wooden spoon, stir in the eggs, one at a time, until fully incorporated.
- Spread the mixture evenly into the baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes. The crust will puff up around the edges. Let the crust cool completely in the pan.
- For the filling: Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese on medium speed for 1 to 2 minutes until light and fluffy. Beat in the pudding mix, then slowly add the milk. Blend until smooth. Fill the cream puff crust with the cream cheese mixture.
- With a clean mixer, whip the cream, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla until medium-stiff peaks form. Spread over the cream cheese mixture.
- Melt the chocolate chips with the coconut oil in the microwave. Drizzle over the whipped cream. Slice and serve.
Keywords: cream puff cake