Mardi Gras King Cake
Mardi Gras is cause for celebration and festivities, and when you see the variety of colors on this cake, you can’t help but smile and join in on the fun.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Rising Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 3 hours 5 minutes
- Yield: Serves 12 1x
- Category: Bakery
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (0.25-ounce) package quick-rise yeast
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 12 slices, softened
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk or heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- Green, purple, and yellow/ gold sugar sprinkles for decorating
- For the cake: Heat the milk, sugar, and salt in a small saucepan over medium heat until the milk is 120 degrees F.
- Mix 2 1/2 cups of the flour with the yeast for 30 seconds on medium until combined. Reduce to low, pour in the milk mixture, and blend in. Add the eggs. Mix until a shaggy dough forms. Switch to the dough hook. On low speed, add the remaining 1 cup of flour gradually to form a soft dough, then add the butter slices one at a time and knead until incorporated. Continue kneading for about 8 minutes.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead a few times by hand until smooth. Shape into a smooth ball and place in a greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- For the filling: In a small bowl, mix the brown sugar with the cinnamon. Add the butter and whisk until blended in.
- Roll the dough into a 10 × 20-inch rectangle. Spread the filling over the dough, then roll up the rectangle jelly-roll style, starting at the long end. Place the roll on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bring the ends together to form an oval ring. Pinch the ends together to seal. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for an hour.
- While the cake is rising, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Bake for 20 to 35 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- For the glaze: In a small bowl, whisk the confectioners’ sugar, milk, and vanilla until smooth. Drizzle the glaze over the cake. Sprinkle the colored sugars over the glaze, alternating the colors. Slice and serve.
Keywords: mardi gras, cake