Easy Oatmeal Coffee Cake
Coffee cake always marked a special occasion growing up. If we were expecting overnight guests, my dad would pick up a coffee cake from the local bakery to serve in the morning alongside some freshly brewed coffee. It was such a fun treat, and with this lightened-up version, I don’t have to wait for a special occasion to indulge!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- Category: Bakery
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, plus 1 tablespoon
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup cooked oatmeal, cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat an 8 × 8-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup of the coconut oil, the eggs, 1 cup of the brown sugar, the oatmeal, and the vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the whole wheat ﬂour, all-purpose ﬂour, salt, 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon, and the baking soda.
- Combine the dry ingredients with the wet and stir until combined.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Pour into the baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together the remaining 1 tablespoon coconut oil, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon with the walnuts. Evenly sprinkle the mixture over the top of the cake.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until the cake is set.
- Let the cake cool before cutting. Serve