Cherry 7UP Pound Cake
One of my favorite treats as a kid was drinking a kiddie cocktail, and Cherry 7-Up was the next closest thing. This cake version has that sweet bubbly sensation we all love with the cozy comfort of old-fashioned pound cake.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Yield: Serves 12-16 1x
- Category: Bakery
- All-purpose flour for the pan
- 24 tablespoons (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 3 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup Cherry 7-up
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherries, patted dry
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 315 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10-cup Bundt pan.
- For the cake: Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes until light and fluffy. Add the sugar and salt and beat for 6 to 7 minutes until fluffy and very light, scraping down the bowl a few times. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until incorporated.
- Add the vanilla and lemon zest. Reduce the speed to low and add the cake flour gradually, beating until combined. Add the Cherry 7-Up and mix in, then carefully fold in the cherries. Pour the batter into the Bundt pan.
- Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes to 1 hour 25 minutes or until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then invert onto a serving plate. Let cool completely.
- For the glazes: Place 1 cup of the confectioners’ sugar in each of 2 bowls. To 1 bowl, add the cherry juice and whisk until smooth. To the other bowl, add the cream and whisk until smooth. Pour the white glaze over the cake, then drizzle with the cherry glaze. Slice and serve.
Keywords: cherry, pound cake