Dandy Diner Dream Cake
Whenever I think of diners, I always imagine those glass display cases filled with the most deca- dent pies and cakes you can imagine. These were the kind of treats you aspired to make.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Chill Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours 50 minutes
- Yield: Serves 12 1x
- Category: Bakery
- 1 (16.25-ounce) box white cake mix
- Vegetable oil as needed for the cake mix
- Eggs as needed for the cake mix
- 3/4 cup bittersweet dark chocolate chips
- Peanut Butter Mousse
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- Whipped Cream Frosting
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- Peanut and Cherry Decoration
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted peanuts
- 1/2 cup turbinado sugar
- 8 maraschino cherries, patted dry
- Preheat the oven and prepare the cake mix according to package directions. Grease two 8-inch round cake pans. Line the pans with parchment paper and grease the parchment. Stir in the dark chocolate chips. Pour into the pans and bake according to package directions. Let cool completely.
- For the peanut butter mousse: Using a hand mixer or stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the cream on medium-high speed for 2 to 3 minutes or until firm peaks form. Transfer to a separate bowl. Add the cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, peanut butter, and vanilla to the empty bowl and whip until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes. Using a spatula, fold the whipped cream into the peanut butter mixture until combined. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- For the whipped cream frosting: Using a clean, chilled bowl, whip the cream and confectioners’ sugar on medium-high speed until firm peaks form. Reduce the speed to low and mix in the vanilla bean paste.
- Place 1 cake layer on a serving plate. Spread the peanut butter mousse filling evenly over the cake and place the second cake layer on top. Fit a pastry bag with a star tip and put about 1/2 cup of the whipped cream frosting in the bag. Spread the remaining whipped cream frosting on the top and sides. Pipe rosettes on top. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- For the peanut sugar coating: Combine the peanuts and sugar in a small bowl, and carefully pat around the sides of the cake. Top with the maraschino cherries. Slice and serve.
- The peanut butter mousse filling can be made ahead and refrigerated.
Keywords: dream cake