Magic Tomato Soup Cupcakes
Yes, there’s actually tomato soup in these. Canned soups were used in all sorts of recipes as convenient shortcuts in magazine ads in the 1950s, and that included desserts. Think of this as a shortcut to the holiday-favorite spice cake. No one will even know your secret ingredient unless you decide to point it out.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 12 cupcakes 1x
- Category: Bakery
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and warm
- 3 large eggs
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can tomato soup
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 (7-ounce) container Marshmallow Fluff
- 1/2 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (8-ounce) tub frozen whipped topping
- For the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cupcake pan with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the ﬂour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the butter and eggs. Add the butter mixture into the ﬂour mixture and whisk to combine. Add the tomato soup and whisk to combine. Add 1/4 cup of the hot water and whisk to combine. Pour in the remaining hot water and whisk to combine.
- Fill the cupcake liners three-quarters of the way up and bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and the cupcake springs back when gently pressed. Transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer ﬁtted with the whisk attachment, combine the Fluff and cream cheese and beat on medium speed until combined. Turn off the mixer and stir in the frozen whipped topping.
- Transfer the frosting to a pastry bag ﬁtted with your preferred tip and pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes. Serve.
Keywords: tomato soup cupcakes, cupcakes, tomato