Cannoli Poke Cake
I used to love going into bakeries and picking up pastries when I visited Italy, so anytime I can incorporate a cannoli-like dessert into my everyday cooking is a welcome treat.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Chill Time: 4 hours
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 4 hours 55 minutes
- Yield: Serves 12 1x
- Category: Bakery
- 1 (15.25-ounce) box white cake mix
- Vegetable oil as needed for the cake mix
- Egg whites as needed for the cake mix
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 cups mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pistachios
- Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
- For the cake: Preheat the oven and make the white cake according to the package directions, using a 9 × 13-inch baking dish. Let it cool in the baking dish for about 30 minutes. Using the handle of a wooden spoon, poke holes all over the cake, making sure the holes go to the bottom. Reserve 1/2 cup of the sweetened condensed milk and pour the rest evenly over the cake. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In a large bowl, stir the ricotta cheese, mascarpone cheese, and orange extract until smooth. Stir in the confectioners’ sugar and cinnamon. Add the remaining sweetened condensed milk, and stir. Spread the frosting over the top of the cake. Sprinkle the chocolate chips and pistachios over the cake. Dust the top of the cake with confectioners’ sugar. Refrigerate for 3 hours. Scoop and serve.
Keywords: cannoli, poke cake