Nana’s Best Coconut Macaroons
My nana always seemed to have some sort of baked good ready to go. It was astounding—her cookie jar was never empty! Maybe it was because they looked so fancy, but her coconut macaroons were always a special treat.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 22 minutes
- Total Time: 42 minutes
- Yield: Makes 24 cookies 1x
- Category: Bakery
- 1 (14-ounce) bag sweetened shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the shredded coconut, condensed milk, and vanilla and mix well.
- In a small bowl using a hand mixer, beat the egg whites with the salt until they hold stiff peaks.
- Carefully fold the egg whites and salt into the coconut mixture.
- Using a cookie scoop, shape the dough into 1-inch balls and place on the prepared baking sheets about 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 22 to 25 minutes, until the tops are lightly browned and the bottoms are golden brown. Cool and serve.
Keywords: coconut macaroons, coconut, macaroons