This is a wonderful sweet bread that wraps up sweetened blackberries. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve at breakfast or even for dessert!Print
Blackberry Pastry Bread
This is a wonderful sweet bread that wraps up sweetened blackberries. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve at breakfast or even for dessert!
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Additional Time: 5 hours
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 6 hours 25 minutes
- Yield: Serves 18 - Makes 3 braids 1x
- Category: Bakery
- 1/2 cup warm milk (110 to 115 degrees F)
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 (1/4-ounce) package active dry yeast
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, chilled
- 1 cup blackberries
- 2 tablespoons white sugar, or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon confectioner’s sugar, for dusting
- Combine the milk, 1 tablespoon sugar, and the yeast in a large bowl. Stir the egg yolks and whipping cream into the milk mixture and allow it to rest for 10 minutes.
- Whisk together the flour, 1/4 cup of sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl. Cut in the cold butter with a knife or pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. (You can also use a food processor, pulsing until the butter is the size of small peas. Turn mixture into a bowl and proceed.) Stir in liquid ingredients until combined. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into three portions and shape them into balls. Toss blackberries with sugar.
- Preheat an oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet.
- Roll each ball out to a 9×12-inch rectangle. Spoon blackberries evenly onto the center third of each rectangle, width-wise. Using a knife, cut 9 slanting lines along each side approximately 1 inch apart. Create a braid by folding alternating strips from each side, covering the berries. Repeat with the remaining 2 dough balls.
- Place the pastry braids onto the prepared baking sheet. Cover braids with a light cloth and let them rise in a warm spot (80 to 95 degrees F) until doubled in volume. This should take about 1 hour.
- Bake the braids in the preheated oven until they are golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. For an added bit of sweetness, sprinkle braids with confectioners’ sugar before serving.
When would you serve this pastry bread? Please share your thoughts with us in the comments.