In my family, Sweet Potato Pecan Crumble is a staple of holiday meals. We don’t know who first made it, but it’s been passed down for generations. Whoever created it is my personal hero because this sweet potato dish is always a treat to behold! Is it a side? Is it a dessert? Yes and yes.
I love making Sweet Potato Pecan Crumble because it’s almost like having veggies for dessert without forgoing your sweet cravings. Whether you’re a health buff or have a sweet tooth, you’re sure to find this dish absolutely delectable!
In fact, looking at the ingredients of this recipe, you’d think that you’d be making some kind of cake or pie. But, surprise! You’ve got sweet potatoes wonderfully blended with butter, sugar, milk, and vanilla. It’s totally indulgent yet light and creamy at the same time. With just one bite, you’ll discover that this mixture instantly melts in your mouth.
But this amazing side dish doesn’t stop there: these sweet potatoes call for a luscious crunchy topping that gets added on top of the base mixture. More butter, chopped pecans, and brown sugar make up this sumptuous topping. It’s like icing, only healthier! The chopped pecans balance out the sweetness with their nutty, chewy texture. Baking this delightful combo only makes it even more appetizing.
Sweet Potato Pecan Crumble is best served as a side, though it can easily make for a filling meal you’ll scoop up in minutes! This southern classic is guaranteed to be a party favorite, so make sure there’s enough to go around when you’re bringing it to potlucks. Of course, you can always enjoy this dish by yourself, but you know what they say—everything tastes better when you get to share it with great company!Print
Sweet Potato Pecan Crumble
Satisfy your sweet tooth with a hearty scoop of Sweet Potato Pecan Crumble – sweet potatoes, whipped with butter and sugar, and topped with a pecan crumble.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6
- Category: Sides & Sauces
- Sweet Potato Mixture
- 6 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 stick of butter, softened at room temperature
- 1/2 cup of brown – to taste
- About 1 cup milk (to get a very creamy consistency)
- 2 eggs
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla
- Sweet Potato Topping
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 cup of chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
Sweet Potato Mixture
- Boil sweet potatoes with skin on until tender; peel them while they are warm.
- Add the stick of room temperature butter to the potatoes and mix with a mixer.
- Add up to 1/2 cup of sugar according to desired level of sweetness and mix.
- Add in about 1 cup of milk and mix to get to a very creamy consistency.
- Mix in two eggs and vanilla.
- Put mixture into a buttered 9 x 13 glass baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Sweet Potato Toppings
- Melt 1 stick of butter in a saucepan on low heat.
- Add chopped pecans and brown sugar.
- Continue to cook on low heat until sugar dissolves.
- Pour mixture over the sweet potatoes and bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.
Potatoes and sweet potatoes have been around for thousands of years, and they’re a main staple in many cultures. Both of these root vegetables are easy to grow at home. With our How to Grow Potatoes Gardening Guide, you’ll learn all you need to know about growing and enjoying these fabulous root vegetables.
Have you tried this recipe? It is a southern classic. Please tell us how it turned out for you.
You left out the word sugar out in your Ingredients list for sweet potato mixture. (Brown ?)