Old-Fashioned Green Bean Casserole
A holiday meal isn’t complete without the trusty green bean casserole. This one includes some shallot and cremini mushrooms to add a richer flavor and is topped off with crispy fried onions for a snappy crunch.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 6–8 1x
- Category: Sides & Sauces
- 1 pound green beans, ends trimmed
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus extra for boiling the green beans
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 6 ounces cremini mushrooms, trimmed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (6-ounce) can crispy fried onions
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside. Prepare a large bowl of ice water.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the green beans and a generous amount of salt and boil for 5 minutes. Drain the beans and immediately immerse in the ice water to stop the cooking process. Drain again and set aside.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the butter over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and shallots, stirring occasionally, until the shallots begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Sprinkle in the flour and stir to combine. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the chicken broth and stir to combine. Then add the half-and-half and simmer until the mixture thickens, stirring occasionally, for 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce.
- Remove from the heat and stir in all of the green beans. Transfer the green bean mixture to the baking dish. Top with the fried onions.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until bubbling. Serve immediately.