While I love to cook holiday meals from scratch, when I’m juggling various sides and desserts with the main course, I need to have a few shortcut recipes, like this one, up my sleeve. By using canned soup and frozen broccoli, I save myself a lot of prep time, so I can tend to everything else.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: Serves 8 to 10 1x
- Category: Sides & Sauces
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pound processed cheese (such as Velveeta), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 (10.75-ounce) cans cream of celery soup or cheddar cheese soup
- 2 1/2 cups instant rice (such as Minute rice)
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 12 ounces frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and celery, stirring until the vegetables are translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the salt, pepper, and paprika and stir for another minute. Add the processed cheese and cream of celery soup, lower the heat to medium-low, and stir until the cheese melts.
- Add the instant rice, half-and-half, and all but 1 cup of the broccoli and stir until well mixed.
- Spoon the mixture into the baking dish and arrange the remaining broccoli on top in decorative rows, then sprinkle cheddar cheese between the rows.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the casserole is heated through. Serve.
Keywords: broccoli-rice casserole, casserole, broccoli, rice