The Best Home Fries Recipe
Crispy on the outside, and creamy in the middle, these seasoned, herby home fries tick all the right boxes when it comes to making the best home fries with the best possible potatoes for a skillet!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 cups 1x
- Category: Sides & Sauces
- 2 Russet potatoes (about 8″ each), or 4 shorter ones
- 1 “dry” purple or tan sweet potato (about 6-8″)
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 sweet white onion, roughly chopped small
- 4 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 lemon, zested and halved
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped herbs (rosemary, thyme, sage, basil, preferably all the above!)
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- Wash, peel, then cut your potatoes in half the long way, then lay flat and cut in half again into quarters, and then cut each quarter in half. Now, cut into cubes, and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add butter and melt, then add chopped onions, cooking for about 1 minute, then add garlic, cook for 30 seconds, then add potatoes and cover for about 10 minutes.
- Remove cover and add paprika, mix, then add herbs. Cook uncovered for another 10 minutes. Stir gently to prevent burning.
- In the last minute, sprinkle with salt, pepper, lemon zest and parmesan cheese. Squeeze a half of lemon gently (to your taste preference) over potatoes and serve!
- The best potatoes for home fries are Russet potatoes due to their high starch content, but you can use other types of potatoes too if you make this recipe in the oven, instead! Simply roast them in the oven with all the ingredients above except the herbs, for about 40 minutes at 450 degrees, tossing along to way to prevent burning, and adding the herbs in the last 10 minutes.