Spinach can be more indulgent than it gets credit for. Combining the bright vibrant greens with a little butter and cheese makes this a great side dish. You can serve it with Turkey Burgers with Guacamole or Ranch Pork Chops, or even just eat it slathered on a hunk of warm French baguette. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container and heated up to enjoy throughout the week.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
- Category: Sides & Sauces
- 4 bunches flat-leaf spinach, trimmed and cleaned
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- Fresh sage, for garnish (optional)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the spinach and cook just until wilted, about 1 minute. Drain in a colander. Squeeze the spinach to remove as much liquid as possible, then coarsely chop and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the butter over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, pepper, and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the cream cheese and half-and-half; cook, stirring, until the cream cheese is melted and smooth. Stir in the spinach and simmer over medium heat until the mixture thickens, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve immediately, garnished with fresh sage, if desired.
Keywords: cream, spinach, creamed spinach