Grilled Rosemary Asparagus with Candied Garlic Kumquats
Sweet candied garlic kumquats dress this savory grilled asparagus finished in a rosemary butter.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Sides & Sauces
- 10 kumquats, sliced and de-seeded
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 cup water
- 1 bundle of asparagus – snap or trim off tough woody ends
- 1 tbsp olive oil or walnut oil
- 4 cloves garlic, grated
- 3 bunches of rosemary
- 4 tbsp butter
- Slice kumquats into 1/4″ slices, discard any seeds. In a saucepan, bring water and honey to a simmer, then add in your kumquats. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 25 minutes, and skim off any foam that occurs. As it gets thicker, stir more often. In the last five minutes, add 1 clove of the grated garlic and stir. When done, transfer to a sterile jar for storing in the fridge for later (they’ll last a week in the refrigerator, probably longer.) You can also do this the night before.
- Preheat grill to 400 degrees F.
- Toss trimmed asparagus with olive or walnut oil and remaining grated garlic. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Grease a cast iron pan (or grill-friendly pan) and put it in the grill, totally empty to heat while the asparagus cooks. Place the asparagus directly on the grates and cook until they can be easily pierced with a fork, turning every 3 minutes.
- Once ready add your rosemary and butter to the skillet for 30 seconds, then toss your asparagus in the fresh rosemary butter. If you’re cooking steak, it’s also highly advised to do the same with your steak!
- Remove asparagus to a dish, sprinkle with your desired amount of garlicky candied kumquats and toss. Enjoy!