Skinny Broccoli, Cauliﬂower, and Ham Casserole
I know this doesn’t necessarily scream “healthy” when you look at it, but it is! The sauce that looks like cheese is actually pureed broccoli with milk and reduced-fat cheese, so it’s plenty creamy without the cream. A great side dish or main meal, this is chock-full of veggies, protein, and ﬂavor.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6
- Category: Sides & Sauces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups sliced onions
- 1 pound broccoli florets
- 2 pounds cauliflower florets
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (7-ounce) ham steak, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- Fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and lightly coat a 9 × 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and stir to coat with the oil, then turn the heat to low and cook with minimal stirring for 20 to 25 minutes, until the onions are caramelized.
- While the onions cook, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the broccoli until done, approximately 5 minutes. Drain and reserve. Reﬁll the pot with water and repeat with the cauliﬂower.
- In a food processor, combine half of the cooked broccoli with half of the cheese, the milk, salt, and pepper and puree to a smooth sauce.
- Place the remaining broccoli and the cauliﬂower in the baking dish and add the ham. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the ham and top with the caramelized onions.
- Pour the sauce over the casserole and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the sauce is warm. Serve, garnished with fresh parsley.