Roasted Lemon-Garlic Green Beans Recipe
In this simple-to-prepare side dish, french green beans are tossed with fresh grated garlic and lemon, and baked in the oven for the perfect balance of salt, acid and fat with garlic that candies the beans as they cook.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Sides & Sauces
- 16 oz French beans (washed and trimmed as needed)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon
- 8 whole cloves of garlic (peeled)
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425F. In a roasting pan, add your washed and trimmed french beans, and drizzle lightly with extra virgin olive oil.
- Using a microplane or fine cheese grater, grate your cloves of garlic over the green beans. Don’t cheat and use pickled minced garlic from the jar, you need the real stuff. It will coat and candy the green beans as it cooks.
- Slice off the cheeks of the lemon (sides) and squeeze the juice over your green beans, then cover generously with several cranks of fresh pepper and toss.
- Cover with tinfoil and bake for 25 minutes, and then let sit covered for another ten to finish.
- Before serving, use your microplane or cheese grater to grate just the yellow skin of the lemon (zest) over the green beans (no white pith, just the skin.)
- Sprinkle with salt to taste, toss again, and serve!