Red onions transform into a tasty treat when you pickle them. Have a jar ready to top burgers, tacos, salads, and more. These are quick and easy to make.Print
Onions in a Pickle
Red onions transform into a tasty treat when you pickle them. Have a jar ready to top burgers, tacos, salads, and more. These are quick and easy to make.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Additional Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: One pint of tasty pickled onions 1x
- Category: Sides & Sauces
- 1 medium size red onion, sliced very thinly
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine-grained salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Put the sliced onions into a 1-pint mason jar.
- Put the jar in the sink, or into an empty pot (you’re going to be pouring hot liquid into and over the jar).
- In a small saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients and bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat.
- Pour the mixture into the jar of onions.
- Use a fork to press the onions down into the liquid to remove any air from the jar.
- Let the mixture cool to room temperature (about a half hour).
- Your pickled onions are ready to serve!
- Keep refrigerated in a tightly sealed container for up to three weeks.
Have you tried this recipe? Did you use the pickled onions on burgers? Please tell us how it turned out for you.