This “pickle” recipe doesn’t require the full array of canning equipment that some recipes do. Enjoy the extra bite of habanero in each jar!Print
Okra Pickles with a Twist
This “pickle” recipe doesn’t require the full array of canning equipment that some recipes do. Enjoy the extra bite of habanero in each jar!
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: Serves 12 to 24 which is 6 1-pint jars 1x
- Category: Sides & Sauces
- 2 pounds okra, whole
- 6 whole habanero peppers
- 3 cups distilled white vinegar or cider vinegar
- 3 cups water
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Put a large bowl of ice water next to the stove.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Add half the okra, cover, return to a boil, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove the okra from the water and put it in the ice bath.
- Cook the rest of the okra the same way.
- Drain the okra and distribute it among your jars.
- Add one jalapeno pepper to each jar.
- Combine the vinegar, 3 cups of water, salt, and sugar in a large saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring until the sugar and salt dissolved. Continue to boil for another 2 minutes, then remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Fill the jars with the brine to within 1/2 inch of the rim, being careful to completely cover the contents.
- Put the lids on tightly.
- Refrigerate for at least a week before serving.
Have you made this spicy pickled okra? It makes a great side with a sandwich, or alongside a cheese plate—please tell us how it turned out for you.