Kale is one of the healthiest foods around, full of iron, vitamins A and C, and calcium. While you’re stuffing yourself full of turkey, potatoes, pie, and more, it’s nice to have this fun, nutrient-rich twist on the more traditional creamed spinach to balance the scales.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6 to 8 1x
- Category: Sides & Sauces
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small shallots, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
- 2 large bunches kale, stemmed, chopped, and lightly steamed
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese 1/3 to 1/2 cup whole milk
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large skillet, heat the butter and oil over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, add the shallots and garlic. Sauté until soft and fragrant, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the cream cheese, break up with a spatula, and let it melt into the pan. Once the cream cheese is mostly melted, add the steamed kale and stir for 3 to 5 minutes. The kale will wilt quickly. Stir in the Parmesan cheese.
- Add 1/3 cup milk, stir, and add more milk if needed for creaminess and moisture. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.
- To steam the kale, bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the kale, cover, and steam for 7 to 10 minutes.
Keywords: creamed kale, kale