Potatoes are some of the easiest but tastiest side dishes you can whip up in a jiffy. There’s a lot you can do with them — have them mashed, boiled, baked, roasted, grilled… You’ll never run out of options!
Personally, I love roasted potatoes because you don’t have to spend a long time preparing them. And, while the cooking time can take a bit, it’s well worth the wait. This recipe for roasted potatoes gives you a plateful of delicious, crispy, golden-brown potato bites that smell just as good as they look.
If you’re hoping to make your roasted potatoes a little more special, the good news is that you don’t need to use sophisticated cooking methods or rare ingredients. Because potatoes are versatile and can pair with just about anything, all you need is a sprinkling of lemon thyme to give this dish a delicate twist.
What I really love about this recipe for roasted potatoes with lemon thyme is how such an ordinary herb can make this dish extraordinary. Potatoes — red potatoes in particular — have an inherent sweetness that blends well with lemon thyme’s zesty-sweet zing. It gives off that slightly sweet, slightly sour combination that’s made even more scrumptious by a sprinkling of garlic powder, kosher salt, and black pepper. Olive oil, on the other hand, gives your roasted potatoes with thyme a light coating and brings all the flavors together.
Don’t worry too much if you don’t have any lemon thyme for this recipe. You can simply pick out some regular thyme from your home garden and mizzle lemon juice on your potatoes after roasting.
Best eaten while fresh from the oven, these roasted potatoes with lemon thyme can become your go-to side dish since they’re easy, hassle-free, and go well with practically any main!Print
Roasted Potatoes with Lemon Thyme
Crisp roasted potatoes with lemon thyme—that’s a side dish that goes with just about everything! The zing of the lemony thyme makes these potatoes special, even though they are easy to make. Use a waxy potato like baby reds for best results.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
- Category: Sides & Sauces
- 2 pounds baby red potatoes (or medium red potatoes, cubed)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh lemon thyme
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Wash the baby potatoes and cut them in half or cut larger potatoes into 1-inch cubes.
- In a large bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients, except for the thyme, and toss well.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the potatoes in an even layer on the sheet and make sure they are cut side down. Roast for about 30 to 35 minutes without stirring until browned, depending on the size of the pieces.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and toss with the fresh thyme.
- If you don’t have lemon thyme, use common thyme and sprinkle the potatoes with lemon juice after removing from the oven.
Have you tried this recipe? It’s an easy and delicious side to add to most any meal—and vegan, too. Please tell us how it turned out for you.