Zucchini and corn are a match made in heaven — and in your kitchen! Whenever my daughters want a quick snack, these Zucchini Corn Fritters are one of my go-to’s. They’re not only incredibly yummy and easy to make, but they’re also very nutritious thanks to the two veggies. Cooking them is as easy as mixing together the ingredients and spooning the mixture onto a hot skillet. Flatten them out and wait until they’re golden brown, and voila — you have a batch of crispy and cheesy fritters ready to be devoured!
When you bite into these crispy fritters, you’ll be greeted by the mild, slightly sweet taste of zucchini, whose tender mouthfeel serves to highlight the juicy corn kernels within. A cup of shredded mozzarella or cheddar binds them together quite nicely with a subtle tangy kick. When you make these Zucchini Corn Fritters, be sure to shred and dry the zucchini well. You’ll want to press the shreds between paper towels several times until the pieces are really dry — that’s the secret to having crispy fritters!
These fritters are perfect for appetizers at a garden party when you want to delight your guests. They’re also great as an alternative to hash browns when you want breakfast to be more special, or as a complement to a green salad or tomato slices when you want a light and healthy lunch. Serving these with a dollop of sour cream and a topping of fresh herbs brings them to the next level and is sure to have you reaching for another until the plate is all gone.Print
Zucchini Corn Fritters
Bite into the crispy outside and creamy, cheesy inside of these Zucchini Corn Fritters for an unforgettable medley of corn and zucchini!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: Makes 12 to 14 fritters 1x
- Category: Appetizers
- 1 pound zucchini, shredded and patted dry
- 1/2 cup grated white onion
- 1 cup fresh sweet corn
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella or cheddar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil (or 1 teaspoon fresh)
- Olive oil, for cooking
- Sour cream and herbs of choice, for garnish
- After shredding the zucchini, place all the shreds between two paper towels and press hard to remove the moisture. You might need to repeat this step with several sets of paper towels, until the pieces are dry. You want to have really dry zucchini shreds or your fritters won’t be crispy.
- In a large bowl, combine the zucchini, onion, corn, egg and cheese. Stir in remaining ingredients, except for the oil.
- Heat a thin coating of olive oil in a non-stick skillet or griddle. Once hot, spoon the mixture by tablespoon onto the skillet and flatten the tops slightly with a spatula. Cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel and set aside.
- Repeat with the rest of the mixture. Serve with a dollop of sour cream topped with fresh herbs like chives, oregano, or parsley.
Corn is an all-American staple! If you want to grow your own corn at home, The Everything Corn Gardening Guide has everything you need to know about growing and enjoying this unique food in your home garden, including advice on planting, raising, harvesting, and preparing dish after delicious dish featuring your home-grown corn.
Have you tried this recipe? It’s so easy, hearty, and will please the kids—please tell us how it turned out for you in the comment section below.