Easy Meatball Party Sub Casserole
This replicates a typical sub sandwich but is much easier to make ahead and serve to a group. The bread at the bottom stays crispy while the toppings are hot and bubbly—a perfect party dish to ﬁll up your guests.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6-8 1x
- Category: Appetizers
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (12-ounce) baguette
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning, plus more for topping
- 1 pound Italian-style meatballs, thawed if frozen
- 1 (24-ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to broil.
- Microwave the butter and garlic until the butter melts and brush the bottom of a 9 × 13-inch broiler-safe baking pan with half of the garlic butter.
- Slice the baguette into 2-inch slices and ﬁt into the baking pan cut side down, cutting some if necessary to ﬁll the bottom of the pan without large gaps. Brush the cut side of all of the bread slices with the remaining butter and garlic. Broil until the top of the bread is golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove the bread and lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- While the bread toasts, combine the cream cheese, mayonnaise, and Italian seasoning in a small bowl and beat until very smooth. Spread this mixture over the toasted bread in an even layer.
- Cut the meatballs in half and make a layer of them on top of the cheese mixture. Pour the spaghetti sauce over the meatballs and sprinkle with the cheese and additional Italian seasoning. Bake for 30 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling hot. Serve.
Keywords: meatball, casserole