Bite-Sized Caramelized Onion Tartlets
Keep hungry family members at bay with these tartlets that everyone will love. Caramelized onions are sweet and always a favorite ingredient in appetizers.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: Appetizers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups very thinly sliced yellow onions
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Pie dough for 1 single-crust 9-inch pie (store-bought or homemade)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons crème fraîche (see note)
- Fresh thyme sprigs for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly coat a 12-cup mini muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over low heat. Add the onions, butter, sugar, 1 tablespoon water, salt and pepper and cook for 10 minutes. Add the vinegar and cook for an additional 25 to 30 minutes, until the onions are deep golden brown.
- While the onions are cooking, roll the pie dough out into a large 3-inch round cookie cutter. Lightly press 1 round into each mini muffin cup. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until golden.
- Remove the shells from the muffin tin and arrange on a platter. Divide the crème fraîche among the shells, top with the caramelized onions, and sprinkle the top with fresh thyme sprigs. Serve.
- If you can’t find crème fraîche, feel free to substitute sour cream.