Fajita Style Chicken Quesadillas
Craving Mexican food, but can’t decide what to make? Combine two classics with this tantalizing mash-up featuring fajita-style veggies in a cheesy quesadilla package. We promise, it will become a Friday night staple.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Appetizers
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 green onion, cut into strips
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 8 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- 8 ounces shredded Mexican- blend cheese
- 1 cup salsa, for serving
- In a small bowl, combine half of the olive oil with the salt, black pepper, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and onion powder. Divide evenly into two bowls. In one bowl, add the chicken and toss with the spices to combine. In the second bowl, add the red pepper, green onion, and yellow onion. Toss with the spices to combine.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the remaining olive oil and the chicken to the pan. Cook on each side for 5–7 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken to a plate and allow it to rest. Add the vegetables to the pan, cooking until the vegetables begin to soften and start to char slightly, 5–7 minutes. Slice the chicken into 1-inch slices and return to the pan. Stir everything together and remove from the heat.
- To prepare the quesadillas, heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat lightly with cooking spray. Place one tortilla in the pan, top with one-eighth of the cheese, chicken, and vegetable mixture, another one-eighth of the cheese, and an additional tortilla. Flip the quesadilla when the bottom begins to brown. Cook for an additional 2–3 minutes until the second side is lightly browned. Move to a cutting board and allow it to set for 1 minute. Cut into quarters and repeat with the remaining tortillas. Serve with the salsa