Slow Cooker Chicken and Vegetable Soup
Veggies make any soup feel just a little bit healthier. This is a rainy day soup that ﬁlls you up after you’ve been splashing around in puddles or soaked from head to toe. Chock-full of summer veggies, all you need is one spoonful to help you unwind.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
- Category: Soups
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small zucchini, cubed
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn
- 1 (14-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon finely minced fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth, low- sodium preferred
- Fresh basil, for garnish
- Spray the insert of a 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Put the chicken breasts, carrot, celery, onion, zucchini, corn, tomatoes, garlic, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and broth in the slow cooker. Mix the ingredients together.
- Cover and cook for 7 hours on Low or for 4 hours on High.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred, return to the slow cooker, and stir to incorporate.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper, if needed. Ladle into bowls and serve, garnished with the basil.
- This soup can be prepared on the stovetop instead of in the slow cooker:
- In a large pot, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add the carrot, celery, onion, and garlic and sauté for 4–5 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and corn and cook for an additional 2–3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and broth. Stir to mix. Add the chicken to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until the chicken is tender and fully cooked,
- 1–1 1/2 hours. Remove the chicken from the pot, shred, and return to the pot. Taste and season with salt and pepper, if needed.
Keywords: slow cooker, chicken, vegetable, soup