There’s nothing like a bowl of hearty chowder to help warm you up on those winter evenings when the cold wind is blowing outside and the air is just starting to turn icy. These are the nights I want to spend in front of the fireplace along with a bowl of this Cheesy Italian Sausage Chowder, listening to the crackling logs and watching the flames dance and shift from red to yellow to blue.
One nice thing about this chowder is that you can use either mild or hot Italian sausage, so you can please a variety of palates with this recipe. Personally, I like a little bit of spice in this. I think it contrasts nicely with the saltiness of the cheddar cheese and the velvety texture of the heavy cream. But I also don’t think you’ll miss anything by opting for the mild Italian sausage. You still get that same mix of herbs and spices with the fragrant fennel, just without all the heat.
As for the recipe, this has the makings of a true country-style feast, including potatoes, cream, hearty sausage, and, of course, plenty of cheese. Like many comforting stews, soups, and chowders, it’s the simplicity of this that makes it so tasty. Each ingredient has room to shine.
The potatoes give the chowder that stick-to-your-ribs quality while the heavy cream, all-purpose flour, and broth come together to create a nice thick bowl that you’ll be happy to have at the table. It’s an easy recipe, too. Once you brown the sausage, onions, and celery, you just stir in the flour, add the rest of the ingredients, and let it simmer for about 15 minutes.
That makes this Cheesy Italian Sausage Chowder ideal for a quick meal when you don’t have a lot of time to get dinner on the table.Print
Cheesy Italian Sausage Chowder
This is the ultimate chowder for those crisper-than-usual days before winter hits. It has the makings of a true country-style feast, including potatoes, cream, hearty sausage, and, of course, plenty of cheese.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6
- Category: Soups
- 1 pound hot or mild bulk Italian sausage
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4–5 Yukon Gold potatoes, diced
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, plus more for garnish
- Scallions, thinly sliced, for garnish
- In a large pot, brown the sausage, onion, and celery over medium- high heat. Drain the excess fat and sprinkle with the ﬂour and plenty of pepper. Stir well and cook until all the ﬂour has been absorbed, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the potatoes and broth. Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Stir in the cream and cheddar cheese. Remove from the heat once all the cheese has melted.
- Ladle into large bowls. Serve topped with additional cheese and scallions.
Keywords: italian, sausage, italian sausage, chowder