Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Soup
This thick, creamy soup is the kind you’ll pack up in a thermos and take with you to work on a cold, blustery winter day.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6
- Category: Soups
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped green onions, including some of the tender green tops
- 3/4 cup chopped celery, including some of the leafy greens
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth, low-sodium preferred
- 1 cup half-and-half
- Sprigs of fresh rosemary, for garnish
- In a small bowl, toss the chicken pieces with the rosemary, salt, and pepper. In a 6-quart heavy-bottom stockpot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and sauté until lightly browned, stirring frequently, about 4 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pot with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- In the same pot, add the butter, green onions, and celery and stir over medium-high heat until the onion is translucent, 3–5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, thyme, and bay leaf and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more, until fragrant. Sprinkle the ﬂour over the vegetables and cook, stirring, until the ﬂour has been completely absorbed, about 1 minute.
- Add the broth and whisk until the liquid thickens slightly. Return the chicken to the pot, reduce the heat to medium, and cook for 5 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasonings as necessary. Remove the bay leaf.
- If desired, at this point remove 2 cups of the soup, including the solids, and blend in a blender or food processor until pureed, then return to the pot. This thickens the soup and gives it a nice texture.
- Add the half-and-half and salt and pepper to taste and continue to heat over medium heat, stirring frequently, about 4 minutes, until heated through and the ﬂavors have blended.
- Serve garnished with sprigs of rosemary.
Keywords: chicken, mushroom, soup